Healthy Indian Recipe: Spicy Organic Jowar Roti. Going organic and consuming organic jowar rotis improves cardiovascular health, aids in weight loss, reduces the risk of cancer and maintains healthy bones.
• Organic jowar flour- 2 cups
• Warm water-1 ½ – 2 cups
• Organic pressed groundnut oil- 2 tsp
• Green chillies – 1-2, finely chopped
• Ginger paste- 2 tsps
• Grated carrots- ½ cup
• Cabbage shredded- ¼ cup
• Chopped coriander- ¼ cup
• Roasted and crushed peanuts- ¼ cup
• Salt to taste
1. Mix all the ingredients other than water and keep them aside for 15 minutes.
2. Add warm water to the organic jowar flour and knead it into dough.
3. If you add water at first, the vegetables may give away some water and make the dough sticky.
4. Does not require any settling time.
5. Heat the pan.
6. Make regular roti balls.
7. Use some jowar flour for dusting and make it flat and round on the roti platform by patting it with your fingers.
8. Use flour for dusting both the sides when it gets difficult to pat it flat.
9. When using only jowar flour, the rolling pin does not work well. Cook the rotis on the tawa like regular rotis.
10. For those who do not mind using some organic whole wheat atta, mix 2 cups of jowar to 1 cup wheat atta and knead to make rotis. With a little wheat atta, you can make rotis using a rolling pin.
It can be served with sauce, chutney, rhaita or pickle. A good healthy alternative for breakfast and lunch, the same can be tried using other whole grain flours like ragi, bajra, brown rice and ram dana.